Delhi: Over 110 students admitted to hospital after gas leak

DN Bureau

The police and CATS ambulances were rushed to the spot following the incident.

More than 100 school students were admitted to hospital
More than 100 school students were admitted to hospital

New Delhi: More than 110 school students were admitted to hospital after a gas leak from a container depot in Delhi's Tughlakabad on Saturday morning.


"Around 110 children have been admitted to four hospitals for treatment. No one is serious. Situation is normal," Romil Baniya, Deputy Commissioner of Police, South-East, said.


The incident occurred near the Rani Jhansi Girls School in Pul Prahladpur, Tughlaqabad.


Deputy Chief Fire Office Rajesh Pawar said, "A chemical leakage at the customs area of Tughlaqabad depot caused irritation in eyes of the female students studying in the Rani Jhansi school, Tughlaqabad. The local police, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), fire, and Centralised Ambulance and Trauma Services (CATS) teams have reached the spot. The students are shifted to nearby hospitals. They are reported normal."


The principal of the school, Manisha, stated the children had complained of suffocation and irritation in the eyes while they were praying.


The school authorities confirmed that the students were being taken care of and were out of danger.



The father of one of the students, who was later called and informed about the incident said, "I was so worried when I got the call and rushed to the spot right away. I have no idea in which hospital my daughter has been admitted to. I hope she is fine."

Vice Principal of Rani Jhansi Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya

"At around 7 a.m. in the morning, during prayer time, the children complained of suffocation and irritation in the eyes. Without any delay, we got the children out from their classes and called the police to investigate. We later sent the children home and those who complained of breathing problem were admitted to three nearby hospitals. The teachers are currently with the students in the hospital," said principal. (With ANI inputs)

Related Stories