Mann Ki Baat: PM Narendra Modi talks of Emergency
Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation on various issues in ‘Mann Ki Baat’ on Sunday
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi reminded people about the horrors of the emergency imposed by former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in the month of June, 1975, and asked people to rededicate themselves towards the goal of strengthening democracy.
Delivering his 33rd edition of his monthly radio programme 'Mann Ki Baat' Prime Minister Modi reminded the people that today was the 42nd anniversary of the declaration of emergency across the country.
He reminded people of the horror of a government having the power to take away one's liberty and freedom, and not sparing any section of society, be it political, economic, media, students, communities, or even the judiciary. He used today's address to recall and recite a poem written by former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee when he was in jail.
The Prime Minister said, "Lord Jagannath is the God of the poor; few know that in English, juggernaut means a magnificent chariot, that is unstoppable. It is quite possible that the word may have been taken from Jagannath."
"The car festival of Lord Jagannath, Rath Yatra, is being celebrated in several parts of country with great piety and fervour. Ramzan is the month of charity, of bringing happiness to others," he added.
The Prime Minister started the address by talking about rains and the weather. He said that the weather is changing and that the monsoon seems to be on time, thus bringing a respite to the people from the heat.
Highlights of PM Narendra Modi's Mann Ki Baat:
1. Car festival of Lord Jagannath, Rath Yatra being celebrated in several parts of country with great piety and fervour: PM Modi.
2. PM Modi greeted people on the occasion of Eid and Ramzan and hailed the diversity of the nation
3. On sanitation, PM Modi asked the people to work together for a clean India
4. He cited the example of Muslims in Uttar Pradesh who decided to build toilets in the holy month of Ramzan.
5. The movement to clean India is a mass movement. It is no longer restricted to governments alone: PM Modi.
6. People in a village in Bijnor did not accept money from the administration to build toilets. They did it themselves. This is heartening."? : PM Modi
7. We have to work together for a clean India: PM Modi
8. PM Modi also remembered the emergency period and praised the role of political leader Jayaprakash Narayan.
9. Talking about Yoga, PM Modi said, "The whole world woke up on World Yoga Day. From?China, Peru and Paris, the world knows about Yoga day.
10. Modi hailed ISRO's achievements and said the India's Mars Mission completed a year.
11. On sports, the Prime Minister said that children shouldn't be discouraged from following a career in sports. He congratulated Kidambi Srikanth for his victory in the Indonesian Open.(With Agency Inputs)