
Devendra Mahto Ends 16-Day Hunger Strike After Jharkhand Cancels JSSC-CGL, TDPL Exams (Img: X)
Ranchi: Jharkhand student leader Devendra Nath Mahto ended his 16-day hunger strike on Monday after the state government announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and all recruitment tests conducted by TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL).
The decision was taken during a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Hemant Soren. Along with cancelling the exams, the government also ordered a CID investigation into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations conducted in Jharkhand since 2014.
After ending his fast at Sadar Hospital in Ranchi, Mahto said the government’s decision was a major victory for Jharkhand’s students.
Jharkhand: Minister Deepika Pandey ended Devendra Mahto’s hunger strike by offering him juice. Following this, Devendra Mahto left the hospital and headed home.#DevendraMahto #JharkhandStudentProtest #Jharkhand #Ranchi pic.twitter.com/LVjyW24771
— Dynamite News (@DynamiteNews_) August 18, 2026
"Today marks a huge victory for Jharkhand. While I am suspending my protest, my struggle for reforms will continue," he said.
Mahto demanded stronger laws, transparent recruitment procedures and strict monitoring of all future examinations to prevent paper leaks and irregularities.
The controversy intensified after allegations of irregularities surfaced in the JSSC-CGL examination conducted in 2024. Around 1,800 candidates had already been appointed to various government departments before the cancellation decision.
The ongoing investigation has reportedly led to the arrest of several people, including former officials, TDPL executives and alleged middlemen.
The CID probe is also examining irregularities linked to other recruitment examinations conducted by TDPL, including JPSC-related exams.
While the Jharkhand government has ordered a CID investigation, student organisations have continued demanding a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the alleged examination scams.
The protests were led by the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, with students demanding a fair recruitment system and accountability from authorities.
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi had also supported the protesting students and urged Chief Minister Hemant Soren to address their concerns.
The Jharkhand government has announced the formation of an examination reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal.
The committee will focus on improving the recruitment process, preventing paper leaks and ensuring transparency in government examinations.
Although Mahto has ended his hunger strike, he made it clear that the movement for examination reforms will continue.
Location : New Delhi
Published : 18 August 2026, 7:50 AM IST