
Delhi Police Denies Permission For Jantar Mantar Protest (Img: X)
New Delhi: The Delhi Police on Sunday clarified that no permission has been granted to any organisation or individual to hold a protest or gathering at Jantar Mantar over reservation reforms. The police also warned people against believing or sharing "misleading" social media posts calling for a gathering in the national capital.
The clarification came after several videos and posts circulated online urging people to assemble at Jantar Mantar on August 23 for a protest related to reservation reforms.
In a post on X, Delhi Police said, “Various videos/posts are being circulated calling upon people to gather/assemble on the issue of reservation reforms for the protest at Jantar Mantar on 23 August. It is clarified that no permission has been granted to any individual or organisation for holding any such protest/gathering.”
The Delhi Police said prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS), which replaced Section 144 of the CrPC, are already in force in the New Delhi district.
Under these restrictions, protest marches, demonstrations, processions and assemblies involving five or more people are prohibited in the area.
Police advised citizens not to gather based on unverified posts or videos circulating on social media and urged people not to forward or amplify misleading information.
Authorities also warned that legal action would be taken against individuals involved in creating, circulating or spreading false information related to the protest.
Following the online mobilisation calls, security arrangements were increased around Shah Auditorium in Delhi. Police officials remained alert to prevent any unauthorised gathering or disruption.
The move comes amid ongoing debates and protests surrounding caste-based reservation policies and demands for changes in the existing system.
Earlier on Friday, hundreds of people had gathered at Jantar Mantar during a protest called by the "Reservation Hatao Andolan".
The protesters demanded that reservation policies should be based on economic criteria instead of caste. They also raised objections to the UGC’s 2026 caste-equity directives.
The protest was organised following a campaign launched through social media, where the group appealed to people to participate in a physical demonstration in Delhi. Several protesters were reportedly detained by security personnel during the gathering.
With fresh calls for mobilisation circulating online, Delhi Police has maintained that only authorised demonstrations will be permitted and strict action will follow against violations of law and order restrictions.
Location : New Delhi
Published : 23 August 2026, 4:13 PM IST
Topics : Delhi Police warning fake social media posts Jantar Mantar Protest Today reservation hatao andolan reservation protest Delhi