Manipur Horror: CBI takes over probe in 'sexual assault' video case; Files FIR
The case was handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on a reference from the Union Home Ministry. Read further on Dynamite News:
New Delhi: The CBI has taken over the investigation in a case of alleged sexual assault on two women by a mob in Manipur on May 4, a video clip of which went viral on social media platforms earlier this month, officials said on Saturday.
After taking over the probe, the agency has re-registered the first information report (FIR) filed by the Manipur police, they said.
The video showing two women from one of the warring communities in the state being paraded naked by men from the other side went viral on July 19, resulting in a massive uproar across the country on crimes allegedly being committed in the northeastern state.
The video, which drew widespread condemnation, shows the men constantly molesting the two helpless women, who cry and plead with their captors to spare them the horror.
The case was handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on a reference from the Union Home Ministry.
The Centre on Thursday filed an affidavit in the Supreme Court stating that the case has been transferred to the CBI and that the trial must be time-bound, and should take place outside Manipur. (with PTI inputs)