‘Studying All Developments’: Centre’s first response after US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s tariffs

India is closely watching developments after the US Supreme Court struck down Trump’s sweeping tariff powers. With new tariffs already announced, what could the ruling mean for India-US trade ties and the ongoing negotiations between the two nations?

Post Published By: Ayushi Bisht
Updated : 21 February 2026, 6:54 PM IST
google-preferred

New Delhi: The Centre on Saturday said it is closely studying recent developments after the Supreme Court of the United States struck down sweeping tariff measures introduced during the administration of Donald Trump.

In an official statement, the Ministry of Commerce and Industry said the government has taken note of the court’s judgment as well as remarks made by the US president following the ruling. Authorities said the developments are being examined to assess their possible implications for India.

Donald Trump hits back with 10% global tariff after Supreme Court blow; Full details

Court Says Emergency Law Does Not Allow Broad Tariffs

The US Supreme Court delivered a 6-3 verdict stating that the president does not have the authority to impose sweeping global tariffs under emergency economic powers.

The court ruled that the International Emergency Economic Powers Act cannot be used to introduce broad, across-the-board tariffs on imports. The judgment is expected to have significant implications for trade policy and may trigger refund claims worth billions of dollars from businesses affected by the tariffs.

Trump Announces Fresh Global Tariff

Shortly after the verdict, Trump said his administration would continue pursuing its trade agenda and announced a fresh 10 per cent global tariff to be added to existing duties.

Officials from the White House indicated that the measure would temporarily reset tariff rates for several major trading partners while the administration explores other legal routes to impose trade restrictions.

India-US Trade Framework Unchanged

Trump also said the current trade arrangement between the United States and India would remain in place. Referring to Narendra Modi, the US president stated that the existing framework with India would continue despite the legal setback on tariffs.

US Supreme Court strikes down Donald Trump’s tariffs; Full story here

Earlier this month, both countries had announced an interim trade understanding aimed at easing tariff tensions and expanding bilateral economic engagement.

Trade Negotiations to Continue

Meanwhile, discussions between Indian and US officials are expected to continue. A three-day meeting to finalise the legal text of the interim trade agreement is scheduled to begin in the United States on February 23.

The Indian delegation will be led by chief negotiator Darpan Jain, a joint secretary in the Commerce Ministry. Officials said the outcome of the talks will be closely watched as both countries work toward strengthening trade ties.

Location : 
  • New Delhi

Published : 
  • 21 February 2026, 6:54 PM IST

Advertisement
Advertisement