Hooliganism Will Be Eradicated From Bengal: CM Suvendu Adhikari warns of strict action over Park Circus violence

West Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari warned of strict action after violence erupted during a demolition drive in Kolkata’s Tiljala area, where police personnel and CRPF jawans were injured.

Post Published By: Ayushi Bisht
Updated : 18 May 2026, 5:27 PM IST
google-preferred

Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari on Monday issued a strong warning against vandalism and attacks on security personnel following violent clashes during a demolition drive in Kolkata’s Tiljala area near Park Circus.

The chief minister said his government would follow a “zero tolerance” approach towards violence and unlawful activities, asserting that strict legal action would be taken against those involved in the incident.

Pushpa My Responsibility Now: Bengal CM Suvendu’s stern warning to TMC’s Jahangir Khan ahead of Falta repolling

Violence During Demolition Drive

The unrest broke out on Sunday during a demolition operation targeting alleged illegal constructions in the Tiljala locality. Authorities had initiated the drive after a recent factory fire in the area reportedly claimed two lives.

According to officials, local residents protested against the demolition action and blocked roads to stop the authorities from proceeding. The situation later escalated, with incidents of stone-pelting and damage to parked vehicles being reported.

Security personnel deployed at the site also came under attack during the clashes.

Several Security Personnel Injured

Speaking to reporters during his visit to the affected area, Adhikari said six police personnel and two CRPF jawans were injured in the violence. He added that police have arrested around 40 people in connection with the incident so far.

The chief minister stated that law enforcement agencies had brought the situation under control, though a heavy security presence continues in the area to prevent further unrest.

‘Law Will Be Enforced Strictly’

Adhikari said people in the state had become used to administrative leniency in recent years, but warned that the current government would strictly enforce the law.

Suvendu Adhikari to retain Bhabanipur seat; Announces resignation from Nandigram

He also appealed to residents to cooperate with the administration in maintaining peace and public order. The chief minister cautioned against attempts to disturb communal harmony or misuse religious slogans to incite unrest.

During his interaction with the media, Adhikari also said he had requested Union home minister Amit Shah to allow continued deployment of 40 companies of paramilitary forces in the state until alternative security arrangements are made.

Security Tightened In Area

Police and central forces remain deployed across the violence-hit locality, with officials continuing surveillance and investigation into the incident. Authorities are also assessing the damage caused during the clashes while further arrests are expected in the coming days.

Location :  West Bengal

Published :  18 May 2026, 5:26 PM IST

Advertisement