English
Trump claims the US carried out a “large-scale strike” in Venezuela and says President Nicolás Maduro and his wife have been captured. Explosions rocked Caracas, but independent confirmation is still missing- what really happened?
Nicolás Maduro and wife allegedly captured in US strike on Venezuela
Washington: US President Donald Trump announced early Saturday that the United States has conducted a “large‑scale strike” against Venezuela and that Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, have been captured and flown out of the country. The dramatic claim marks a major escalation in tensions between the two nations.
In a Truth Social post, Trump said the operation was carried out “in conjunction with U.S. law enforcement” and hailed the mission as a success. He also scheduled a press conference at his Mar‑a‑Lago estate later in the morning to share further details.
Gen Z leads Iran unrest after Trump’s warning; Markets shut, streets burn
Shortly after the announcement, explosions and the sound of low‑flying aircraft were reported across parts of Caracas in the early hours of Saturday. Journalists from international outlets reported hearing at least seven blasts and seeing aircraft over the Venezuelan capital.
U.S. broadcasters Fox News and CBS News cited unnamed administration officials confirming that American military forces were behind the strikes. According to reports, Maduro was captured by elements of Delta Force, the U.S. military’s elite special mission unit.
The United States of America has successfully carried out a large scale strike against Venezuela and its leader, President Nicolas Maduro, who has been, along with his wife, captured and flown out of the Country. This operation was done in conjunction with U.S. Law Enforcement.…
— Commentary: Trump Truth Social Posts On X (@TrumpTruthOnX) January 3, 2026
The United States has not directly carried out such a military operation in Latin America since the 1989 invasion of Panama. Trump has previously accused Maduro of leading a “narco‑state” and claimed that his government rigged elections and fuelled instability. Maduro, who succeeded Hugo Chávez in 2013, has denied these allegations, accusing the U.S. of attempting to seize control of Venezuela’s vast oil reserves.
There was no immediate confirmation from the Venezuelan government regarding Trump’s capture claim. However, Defence Minister Vladimir Padrino accused the U.S. of attacking civilian areas and pledged that authorities were assessing casualties and injuries. Venezuelan officials also denounced the action as a violation of sovereignty.
Who is Ricky Gill? Trump advisor awarded for role in ‘India-Pakistan ceasefire’
International responses have been swift. Some world leaders expressed alarm at the use of force, while others called for urgent diplomatic engagement to avoid further escalation.
Details remain fluid, and independent verification of Maduro’s capture and whereabouts has not been established. The situation raises questions about the legal basis for the strikes, the future governance of Venezuela, and the broader geopolitical fallout from this unprecedented military intervention.