English
Trump calls off Tuesday plan to attack Iran at Gulf allies request (Img: Internet)
Washington: US President Donald Trump on Monday said he had postponed a planned military strike on Iran that was scheduled for Tuesday after intervention from key Gulf allies and renewed diplomatic engagement with Tehran.
In a statement posted on Truth Social, Trump said leaders from Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates urged Washington to delay military action as “serious negotiations” were taking place over Iran’s nuclear programme.
The US President said the proposed agreement under discussion would ensure that Iran does not acquire nuclear weapons.
US-Iran War: Pakistan deploys JF-17 jets, thousands of troops to Saudi Arabia
According to Trump, Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan requested the postponement to create space for diplomacy.
Trump did not disclose details of the proposed strike or the nature of the targets, but confirmed that the US military had been placed on standby for immediate action if negotiations collapsed.
“I have instructed the United States military to be prepared to go forward with a full, large-scale assault of Iran on a moment’s notice,” Trump stated.
The latest development comes amid continuing uncertainty over the fragile ceasefire between the United States and Iran that has been in place since April.
Trump has repeatedly warned Tehran that time was running out to reach an agreement. Over the weekend, he had said that “the clock is ticking” for Iran and cautioned that failure to secure a deal could trigger renewed conflict.
Diplomatic efforts have intensified in recent weeks, with Trump reportedly holding discussions with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Chinese President Xi Jinping regarding the crisis.
US raises alarm over Cuba’s drone capabilities amid reports of Iranian ties
Even as talks continue, the United States has maintained pressure on Iran through military and economic measures. The US Central Command stated on Monday that American forces continue to enforce a blockade targeting Iranian ports.
CENTCOM said 85 commercial vessels had been redirected to ensure compliance with the restrictions. Meanwhile, reports indicated that Iran recently submitted a revised peace proposal through Pakistani mediators. However, US officials reportedly believe the new proposal falls short of Washington’s expectations.
The situation remains fluid as both sides continue negotiations while preparing for the possibility of renewed confrontation.
Location : New Delhi
Published : 19 May 2026, 3:59 PM IST