‘Not A Leak’: NEET scam probe deepens as NTA defends its stand before Parliamentary committee

Even as the CBI uncovers a massive NEET paper leak network involving teachers and coaching operators, NTA chief Abhishek Singh refused to officially call it a “leak” before a parliamentary panel.

Post Published By: Ayushi Bisht
Updated : 21 May 2026, 8:23 PM IST
google-preferred

New Delhi: The controversy surrounding the alleged NEET paper leak intensified on Thursday after National Testing Agency (NTA) Director General Abhishek Singh appeared before the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Education, Women, Children, Youth and Sports.

During the meeting, Singh reportedly declined to officially describe the incident as a “paper leak,” citing the ongoing Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe.

The committee questioned NTA officials over the handling of the examination and the circumstances that led to the cancellation of the NEET-UG 2026 results. According to sources, Opposition members repeatedly pressed the agency to clarify whether the exam had been compromised.

NEET UG Paper Leak Row: CBI arrests Renukai Chemistry classes founder in Maharashtra’s Latur

However, NTA officials maintained that the matter remains under investigation and that any formal confirmation would depend on the findings of the CBI.

Government MPs Back NTA’s Position

Sources familiar with the discussions said MPs from the ruling alliance supported the NTA’s cautious approach. Committee chairman Digvijaya Singh raised concerns over repeated allegations of irregularities in competitive examinations and sought explanations from officials regarding the agency’s accountability mechanisms.

The controversy erupted after reports suggested that a large portion of the NEET question paper had been leaked before the examination held on May 3. Two days later, the examination results were cancelled, triggering outrage among lakhs of students and parents across the country. Authorities later announced that the NEET re-examination would be conducted on June 21.

CBI Probe Reveals Larger Network

Meanwhile, the CBI investigation has uncovered what officials describe as a multi-state network involving paper setters, coaching institute operators and middlemen. So far, 10 people have been arrested in connection with the case.

A Delhi court recently sent five accused to judicial custody till June 2, while extending CBI custody for another accused to allow further interrogation. Investigators told the court that they were tracing the source of the leaked paper and examining financial transactions linked to the alleged conspiracy.

Why haven’t you sacked education minister? Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi over NEET paper leak

Among those arrested are coaching institute operators, alleged middlemen and individuals connected to the exam paper-setting process. The agency has also identified possible links between private coaching centres and insiders allegedly involved in accessing confidential examination material before the test.

Reforms Under Scrutiny

The incident has once again raised serious concerns about the security of national-level entrance examinations and the growing influence of organised cheating networks. Education experts and student groups have demanded stricter safeguards, transparent investigations and institutional reforms to restore trust in the examination system.

Location :  New Delhi

Published :  21 May 2026, 8:23 PM IST

Advertisement